Saturday, March 26, 2005

Weekly Diary

We euthanized our elderly and ill rabbit, Murray, this week. It was a hard choice. Actually, like most important things in life, it wasn't hard, at least in the way a calculus problem or climbing Mt. Whitney are hard. It was just hard to do, and sadly, we waited too long, prolonging his suffering to spare our feelings.

My former neighbor and award winning blogger Susan Kitchens gives us "Yet Another Reason to Hate SUV's", (not that I needed any help with this) at her blog 2020 Hindsight.

I'm on a week long fast from Mexican food to prepare myself for the US v. Mexico soccer match tomorrow. I am very wound up about this match. One of the best moments of my life was when the US defeated Mexico 2-0 during the World Cup in 2002. If we win tomorrow, this will be the first time the US have ever defeated Mexico in Mexico. May it be the first of many.

We attended a very creative Good Friday Service last night at Glendora Friends Church. The service combined ambient music, projected images, and Scripture reading. While I think the idea for the service was stronger than its execution, I was moved by the Bible reading - the Bible is always a good bet. It's a mystery to me that Christian worship does not make greater use of the brilliant, moving, and you know, divinely inspired words of the Bible, at least in comparison to the often pedestrian words of preachers and (especially) worship songs.

I am troubled almost beyond words about the Terri Schiavo situation, but as is increasingly the case, I am more troubled by the response of my fellow Christians and my national leaders. I'm not sure about the ethics of withdrawing hydration and nutrition, but I am certain that commitment to a cause does not give one the privilege of making up facts to support one's perspective. There are a gazillion links to this on the web, but this one from UCLA professor Mark Kleiman, and this one from Slate's Will Saletan have me most outraged.

No comments: